9/3/2021 National Security and Korean News and Commentary
1. The CIA Is Better Than the U.S. Military at Creating Foreign Armies
Report: Army official’s secret texts said, ‘We’re f-ing abandoning Americans,’ as US withdrew from Afghanistan
3. Fighting Breaks Out Between Taliban, Panjshiri Resistance After Failed Talks
4. Resistance fighters in Afghanistan say they’ve ’caused the Taliban heavy losses… but need help’
Anti-Taliban resistance fighters rely on grit, history and geography to hang onto a sliver of Afghanistan
6. Afghanistan Voice of America, Radio Free Liberty/Radio Europe Staff Left Behind
7. Americans, Afghan commandos evacuated through secret CIA base outside Kabul: report
From Saigon to Kabul
9. Opinion | China’s latest crackdown on video gaming isn’t really about kids. It’s about control.
Analysis | The U.S. couldn’t build Afghanistan a democracy. That rarely works.
11. The U.S.
Military Got Some Things Right in Afghanistan
12. Fired Marine’s question about leader accountability should not be dismissed
13. VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: There’s A Problem In The Upper Reaches Of Our Military
China erases billionaire actress Zhao Wei from history
15. What Went Wrong in Afghanistan?
16. Opinion | How the U.S.
Made War Humane and Endless
17. Appoint an ‘Afghanistan commission’ now
Retreat from Afghanistan Alarms Allies Like Taiwan
19. The Forever War is Dead. Long Live the Forever War.
Americans support Afghanistan pullout — but not the way it was done, a Post-ABC poll finds
21. Marine Corps revamps infantry school to produce critical-thinking, more advanced infantrymen
22. National Resistance Front repels multi-day Taliban assault on Panjshir
Taliban Says China Will Be ‘Main Partner’ To Rebuild Afghanistan
24. The Proper Measure of the Place: Reflections on the Afghan Mission
25. What is Infrastructure?
Doctrine’s Failure to Define the Word and the Military’s Inability to Understand It
26. Why Some of America’s Diplomats Want to Quit
27. What Trump understood and Biden gets right about America’s new role in the world
Korean News Content:
1. U.S. draft bill seeks possible inclusion of S. Korea in ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence sharing program
House committee passes defense bill with no lower limit for USFK troops: source
3. Unification ministry closely watching N. Korea for signs of military parade preparation
ROK military reveals strategic ballistic missile is nearing completion
5. Afghanistan, Korea and America
6. North Korea steps up efforts to draw attention from US
Phased approach to North Korea’s nuclear program gaining traction
8. Afghanistan and alliance
9. Coronavirus: why did North Korea turn down 3 million Sinovac vaccine doses?
N.K. leader chairs politburo meeting to discuss antivirus efforts, food shortage
11. N.Korea’s Kim calls for preventing natural disasters and COVID-19 outbreaks
12. Kim orders tougher virus steps after N. Korea shuns vaccines
U.S. to Include Korea in ‘Five Eyes’ Spying Pact
14. How North Korea’s founding father, Kim Il-sung, came to power
15. Kim Jong Un Warns on ‘Abnormal Climate,’ Orders Land Overhaul
North Korea Investigates Youth Who Avoid Hard Labor Mobilization Drives